Sunday, August 21, 2011

Chalk the Walk Testimonies

I've had this picture in my phone since early June. Often when I go on my walk/run, I go up near the Bountiful LDS Temple. It's hilly, so I like the added workout I get. But it's also "safe" because it's not hiking in the mountains by myself. It's an extra wide paved sidewalk that hugs the wide and well-lit Bountiful Boulevard. That road also overlooks much of South Davis County, including where I live; spectacular views.

Well, one evening as I was on my walk, there was a youth group up there. I could see them from a distance, they were mostly hunched over. I knew right away what they were doing, because many people do it up there. They were chalking the walk. The town has a city Chalk Art Festival down on Main Street every May, and this was just a few weeks afterwards. I thought it was a cool idea to let the kids sort try their hand at it, literally.

Because the sidewalk squares are so large up there, many locals head up there to run, walk their dogs, set up their camp chairs and watch the sunset, have a picnic, or let the kids loose with sidewalk chalk. There is rarely an evening that goes by that someone isn't doing one of those things. As I got closer, the activity was winding to a close and the leaders and kids were piling back into cars and vans heading home. I was sort of glad, as it allowed me to take my time looking at their finished sidewalk "art".

My guess is that they were supposed to each "color" a square with something that was important to them. Many had drawn pictures of their interests and hobbies and others had drawn stick figures of their families. A few had depicted religious scenes such as the nativity, temples, scripture stories, etc. But this is the one which stood out to me the most, and unfortunately my cell phone camera does not do it justice.

These youth were between the ages of 12-18 and I think it's great that they were able to express their beliefs through "art", even if it was in the medium of sidewalk chalk. It definitely makes an impact, doesn't it? It's big and bold and there is no doubt in my mind what this David Johnson believes.

No matter who we are or what we believe, we shouldn't be afraid to be our true selves; we shouldn't be afraid to let others know who that true self is, and what it is we believe.

It was a good reminder to me to be more "big and bold" about what I believe in. It was a good reminder that I can share my Christian beliefs with those around me, both through my words and my actions. I once read something to the effect that said is there enough evidence in your life that you could be convicted of being a Christian? Thank you, David Johnson, for being a good example to me and sharing your testimony of the Savior, Jesus Christ.


1 comment:

Cassie said...

I KNOW THAT KID!!! We had seminary together (i think he's in Keenan's grade) and he's WAYYY super smart and knows his way in and out of the religion! He's AMAZING!!!