Saturday, May 11, 2013

front door decor: No Wreaths Allowed!

When the hubs asked what I wanted for Mother's Day, I'm not sure what he thought when I said, "Something for the front door."  Tired of the traditional wreath, I wanted to adorn my front door with something different -- something, "fresh".

I googled front door decor and saw a few unique takes...

First from {Blue Sky Confections}  (above) and the second from {Time Flies} (below).
Google also produced lots of Star ideas.  But quite frankly, been there & done that -- and so has everyone else, right?
Next, I turned to Pinterest.  Found lots of out-of-the-box ideas.  But, most were a little too bold for me.
I loved what I saw on Etsy, and was especially inspired by the iron scroll work and the vintage welcome knocker.  However, at more than $40 each + shipping, eh, forget about it.  Even though the hubs didn't give me a restricted budget, I felt like spending more than $80 to hang something outside on the door was a bit excessive.  "I can do better than that," I thought.
So, inspired by the 2 DIY bloggers and the awesome vintage stuff on Etsy, I set out on the hunt for the new door decor. I scoured every home decor store and discount place like Ross, TJMaxx, Home Goods, Marshalls, Gordman's, .........  and there were a lot of "nice" things.  Still, nothing grabbed me.  Finally, I remembered it was Thursday and Real Deals was open!  W00t!  So, off to Real Deals I went, and the rest, as they say - is history!

My new front door decor:
I just love the way it turned out.
It took less than an hour, and cost just under $25.  Now, that's MY KIND of DIY project!

And now, for a quick tutorial.

No comments: