Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Journal Journeys: The Doorbell Ditch

Here is part of an entry straight from my teenage journal. And I will just preface this and say, I hope no one whom is mentioned will be embarrassed, humiliated or offended. I was nearly 15 1/2 when I wrote this, and I will warn you now that it is cheesy...

May 14, 1989

Yesterday, Elkhart's top seminary* team won the scripture bowl. Afterwards, we all went over to Sister Kiser's (the teacher) house to celebrate. She threw a party for all of us for the hard work we did. When I got there, Eric was already there. Most of the kids wanted to watch a movie, but it was sort of boring. So, Eric, Amy, Andrew, Ryan and I decided to play Pictionary. Then a lot of us went outside to play Hide and Go Seek. It sounds a bit childish, but it was actually a lot of fun in the dark. Eric and I ended up hiding together most of the time. After that we wanted to go on a walk. So, Naomi, Ryan, Andrew, Ben, Hilary, Haylie, Eric and I all went.

Eric said he wanted to do some "doorbell ditching" so he went up to a door and knocked and then we all ran away. We all ran down the street and then walked down to the river. On the way back, Ben said he wanted to doorbell ditch someone. We all said he better not. But he did anyway. We all started running when the guy actually came out of his house! After we got around the corner, we figured we were safe, so we stopped running and just started walking again. We were only a few houses away from Kisers when all of a sudden some headlights shone brightly on our backs. We turned around and it was that guy whose door Ben pounded on!

We all took off running towards the Kiser's backyard. I was coughing so hard from laughing and running. But while the others went inside for ice cream, Hilary, Ryan, Eric and I stayed outside and just talked. My coughing was getting worse the more I laughed, so Eric said we should go inside and he would get me some water. Then we went upstairs (ahem, the living room) to talk some more, just the two of us. He told me he wanted to take me to his Jr. Prom. I was excited. Of course this is still almost a year away, but I said yes. Ever since Eric moved here a few months ago, I've had the biggest crush on him. I can't wait till school gets out. Then it will be summer break, and more adventures!


What's an adventure YOU remember or wrote about in your journal that YOU did as a teenager?

*Seminary is an in-depth scripture study course that our church offers the youth. We used to compete at the end of the school year in scripture mastery bowls.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still amazed that so many bloggers have their childhood journals!

My adventures as a teen usually happened when I snuck out the window every night....

Susie said...

Hey Yaya, I snuck out too!! Ah....misspent youth.

Puphigirl said...

Hey I remember that. I'll have to look through my journals and see if I made mention of that night.

Charlotte said...

I remember sleeping over at my best friend's house outside on the trampoline, then riding our bikes around town at night stealing roses from other people's houses and hanging hem up in the camper to dry. Now if only I remembered why we 'needed' them in the first place...

Our Two Blessings From Above said...

My kids still play DING DONG DITCH. I get so mad at them because I know one of these days they are going to break a leg running. They were outside last night and I told them NO DING DONG DITCH! They looked at me and said, "Mom we are almost 16 we don't play that anymore". I guess they have grown up since last week!?! As for me, I had 4 older brothers that did it all, I just watched and laughed.

Anonymous said...

How funny! When I went back home last year I found the diary I kept when I was about 16. Talk about a blast from the past.

Megan said...

I love it! The entire time I was reading it, I was picturing the many times that Kyle and I were together with groups of friends walking around in the dark. Although, I can't say we ever did "doorbell ditch". Instead...we TP'd lots of houses. Hahaha! ;0P