Tuesday, March 3, 2009

That Thing Called a J-O-B

How many of you out there LOVE your job? I don't mean just like your job - -but truly LOVE it? If you do, I am jealous. I mean, my job is okay. It's at least in a field I enjoy, somewhat. But it isn't my dream job. Ten years ago, I wasn't thinking, "I hope ten years from now I will be working for so-and-so as a such-and-such. The job occurred more out of necessity.

That being said, how do some of you stay motivated to do your jobs, especially if it isn't one you enjoy? Is it all about the money? Is it just a strong work ethic?

A while back I used to work for Delta Airlines. This was pre- September 11th... pre- airline-financial crisis. The company was doing well. I worked in reservations. I worked at night soI could be at home during the day with my kids. Well, the atmosphere at night was a lot more laid back than that during the day. Probably because there wasn't as much management around. We could sort of "bend" rules. We also seemed to have tons of potlucks...that was always fun.

After a short while, I moved from the general sales reservations desk to the "Special Member Services" desk. This was the department that handled the elite frequent travelers. I could schmooze with the best of them too. The thing I loved about my job was being able to be a different person with each call. My coworkers and I would make up little games and competitions throughout the shift to make the time go by faster.

We did things like only speak in a certain accent throughout the call. MY favorite was the southern drawl and a South African accent. We had a girl that sat near me from South Africa. So, I would imitate her, and it was so much fun.

Other times, we would give each other challenge words, and you'd have to use that word in a sentence before the end of the call. They were usually random words like "pilfer" "buttercup" or "slaughter". Good times.

So, fast forward to my current job. We deal with clients day in and day out. But these are not just clients we speak to over the phone. They come into the office. I don't think pulling an accent would work. In the past, before the market got tough, we used to have a lot more fun. Constant jokes and stories. Lots of laughter. Perhaps it was just the dynamics of those in the office.

Now, with the tough market, I think we are all more concerned as to whether or not we will even have jobs in a few months. If our income doesn't start to pick up we know what the end result will be, and it ain't pretty. I tell you, the whole thing makes me feel like giving up some days.

So, I ask you again... what keeps you motivated? Or are we all just walking around in stress mode?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stress mode. Definitely.

I don't like my job, but it's a job and it's good money and I don't have to put up w/ a lot stuff...so I try to maintain what is positive about it to keep from losing me mind while I nanny for a stay at home mom whose life revolves around going to the spa everyday.

I really do wonder how many people are happy with their jobs? I mean, I'm thankful I have a job, but am I completely happy with it? No. But what else am I gonna do? I gotta work.

Green said...

I really dislike my job, I still haven't gone back.
Thankfully, I work for the government and I make money for them so I probably won't get laid off.

Dianne said...

I have only been back at work since December after being a stay at home mome for 22 years. Talk about a wake up call! I provide utility assistance, food pantry, and other services to low income people. Do I love my job? NO. Am I glad to have it? Yes. I totally agree with you about the lack of management/interference. My boss is in an office over 40 miles away. That part, I love.

Rhonda said...

Stress mode. BIG. TIME.

Hubby hates his job, hates his low-life boss, loves the income and can't match it anywhere else. It's not a huge income but it can sustain our big family if we're careful.

He got word today of some suspicious things going on. We fear not having an income this time next week. I have no idea what we'll do. I mean, all people of working age will be looking for a job or working their tail at min. wage but I don't know what I'd do with my babies still at home. We'll be so stressed I can't even imagine.

So just know you're in good company. I watched Oprah the past few days about middle class folks now living in tents and being homeless. I fear that's what would happen to us. I guess I'm not as optimistic as I'd like to be. lol

The Willeyes said...

I think sometimes you just have to be motivated because you need the job:) I don't know...i need some tips too-my job sucks :) I guess we all "just keep swimmin" :) hang in there!

Ruthykins said...

i know that i am always so worried that even more people will be laid off and not want to order pizza anymore. then derek is out of a job. i know that people need to eat, but they may think they can make their own pizza. as for me, my job will never go away, but i don't get paid for it either.

purplehaze said...

I can truly say I do love my job, but at times I wish I didn't have to work. It is by no means my "dream" job, but it comes close. I do worry too about not having a job so I am grateful everyday I work that I am working. Same with my husband. He has been with his job for going on 25 years. Times are really hard especially for the middle class working people and to have to work from pay check to pay check is really tough.

ann said...

I love my j-o-b! But somedays I really want to scream into the night. Maybe its a problem that I never get to LEAVE without taking my job with me. Just kidding, my kids are great!!

Ijust realized I haven't had a job in 11 years! CCCRRRRRAAAAZZZZYYYY!!!!

Megan said...

Stress-mode here...looking for a job. And hopefully one that I'll love and not have to go to just for the paycheck!

Tamie said...

i think that for me, when i work it is self-motivation. for me to do the best for me, so that I don't let myself down. i guess that in the process, i'm just hoping that i'm doing my best for my supervisors as well.
those are funny things that you did at the airline....we would do things like that on my mission while tracting (not so much the accent thing but more the word thing---fun times!)

greenolive said...

My husband doesn't really like his job but he's really glad he has one. I think he really just likes to complain about it and secretly he loves it. I'm not quite sure. My job is hard work but I like it.

Susie said...

I think we are all in stress mode.

andrew's mom said...

I am lucky-I can honestly say I do love my job. Keep in mind I'm no Pollyanna Happypants, I just enjoy going to work most days and it is what I always wanted to do. That said, of course such a rewarding career can't be terribly financially rewarding now, could it? So I make crap for money, but I like it. (I am a 5th grade teacher by the way-in case you are wondering).

My husband on the other hand is in the mortgage business and I'm sure you can guess how that is going. Mommy is the main breadwinner these days and that is pretty scary! Hang in there girl!

TravAndToni said...

This post has been very humbling for me. I think I take for granted too often the things my husband does so I don't have to work. Gonna run give the man a huge smooch and let him know how much I love his guts and appreciate him. I'm also gonna remind him that HE LOVES HIS JOB... in case he's forgotten :)

Vickie said...

I love my job!

But my Hubby is not happy with his job. His boss is such a buttwipe. But right now he can't find a job with the money he is making now and the benefits are good. It was so bad this weekend he was hoping the kids would give him a strep infection so he could stay home a couple of days.(My kids were sick this past weekend)

I feel bad that he is not happy with his job. Bosses:p

Puphigirl said...

I generally like my job. I like that the students change each year so I get a variety. It makes it not so boring. But I think you need to have fun with your job.

I wish my job could be like those guys at Pike's Pier the fish market. They ham it up with the customers and fling fish around.