Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Mother is on Facebook!

All right, so here is the thing. I like to *think* I am a cool mom! I mean, I have a 14 year-old, and I'm still fairly young. I like to say I'm in touch with what's cool and hip (realizing that saying "cool" or "hip" is neither cool nor hip).

My kid's on Facebook. So, I'm like, all right, I'm gonna check it out. I get on Facebook. Not that it was really weird or anything, cuz I was already on MySpace and a few other networking sites. Facebook is great cuz I can catch up with all of my friends from all over the world. I have friends, old roomies, pen pals from elementary school, relatives, etc., from all over the US, Canada and even London. One of the best things is discovering when someone I knew from Hawaii or Indiana now lives here in Utah, and within driving distance!

So, I've been reconnecting, feeling all "cool" and "hip" (all right, I know...but now that I've started I can't stop), and then I get the following message in my email...

[NurseMom] added you as a friend on Facebook. We need to confirm that you know [NurseMom] in order for you to be friends on Facebook.

What the Freak? My Mother is on Facebook? When did this happen? So it got me thinking, "Either MY MOM is cool & hip, or I'm not as Cool & Hip as I think I am."

Of course I HAD to take a peek over at her profile and I just HAD to pull up the list of her friends. Whew, only a handful of "friends" so far, and more than half are family - not to mention one of them being my dad, lol! Oh and by the way, my dad commented on her wall with, "I know that girl! She is hot!" OMGosh!

So, there you have it. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. After all, she's been emailing for about 11 years and surfing the web for about 9 years now. It only makes sense that this is the year she joined MySpace (oh yes she did) and started her own blog all by herself (her words, not mine). So, why not Facebook, right? I guess I won't start to worry unless I see her profile pop up on ldssingles.com - bwahahahahahaha!

Oh, and perhaps we are both cool... and hip! (I just had to!)

12 comments:

okeydokeyifine said...

Why yes, I am cool and hip. More "hips" in this time of my life, but cool none the less. Atleast that is the way I see it.

I mean really, I think in our minds we stay a certain "age" and have those same tastes and such. It is just that the body gets older and maybe we slow down a little. But I am still working and am able to travel. And I enjoy a good joke.

I will never be as cool as my children because they have young people in the house and have to stay on top of things. So I do not know all the language of computer, or all the cool sayings the young people have now-a-days.

My children are the bridge between me and my grandchildren. What would I do without them? I think my kids keep me young, atleast as young as I am. (in my heart)

S Club Mama said...

I WANT my mom to get Facebook so she can see her grandson grow!

jewelstreet said...

I think you are both cool and hip!

I about died about your dad's comment. That's hilarious.

Unknown said...

Your dad's comment is hysterical.
Good to know your mom is cool & hip too, huh?
Hehehe when your teens tell you you rock then you are in... until then you are lame :P
(Ask me how I know this. LOL)

Susie said...

wow! I am impressed. My inlaws can email but that is about it and my mom doesn't even know how to turn the computer on:-)

Tulsi said...

My mom and her husband have a Facebook Acct. A couple of years now. I just got one and didn't realize they had one. Weird. That is one of the fastest ways for them to send photo's out for everyone to see.

Rhonda said...

dude my husband and I comment back and forth on eachothers blogs sometimes. I've had spectators tell us to "get a room!!" hehe

So when did "hip" and "cool" go out? BUMMER! (Is "bummer" out too!?)

I think it's funny she has her facebook page...you go grams! (even funnier is that you didn't know till YOU got one!! HAHA!)

andrew's mom said...

I wish my mom was cool and hip like yours. My mom probably thinks Facebook is some book you look at to pick out colors of makeup. I hope no one tells her I said that...

Puphigirl said...

The sad thing is NurseMom had a computer and email before I did as an adult. She also had a cell phone before me. How sad that my parents are "hipper" on the techno scene than me.

Charlotte said...

I just got on Facebook myself, and am still figuring things out. I got the Myspace thing down, but apparently no one uses that anymore. I have been amazed at how many old friends I have found! It's like I just joined the current millennium.

The Willeyes said...

You come by your coolness and hipness naturally. It must be genetic:)

purplehaze said...

Wow didn't know nursemom could be so hip!! LOL It's amazing what you find out about your parents sometimes huh?