Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Adventures of Strange Dude

So, what if I told you that I met someone, we had drinks and then spent the entire night together? "What???" "She must be talking about somebody else" and "She's lying" would all probably be expected responses. Nevertheless, it's all true. "Lucy! You got some splainin' to do!" I know, I know. I'll explain.

First, let me back up and give you a brief follow-up to the Hamster Head posting. (I like nicknames, so I plan to use them here. You'll know who you are!) So, Korea Guy read my blog and suggested that for my sleeping problem I try listening to music. Kudos to Korea Guy! That's actually not a bad idea. I love music, so that might work. I think I will actually try that in conjunction with Technique Guy's advice regarding the gelcaps. By the way, my good friend & neighbor, Desperate Housewife is sure that the reason I have trouble sleeping is because I am out late or talking on the phone late, or perhaps even blogging late. Thanks, I tell her. Probably all true.

I belong to a few of the big networking sites. It's great because I am reconnecting myself with some old college roommates, church friends from back home, and even old high school classmates. Well, College Guy & I reconnected and sent a few emails and chats back & forth and then agreed to meet for lunch. We had a lot of fun getting caught up to speed; it was like we picked up where we left off. Then the next day on Sunday, I got to see Truck Guy and have a little chat, so my weekend got even better.

Just when I thought there was nothing left exciting in my Sunday, things were beginning to unfold. I was trying to download some photos of the kids on my Facebook profile, when a Strange Dude from a different networking site saw that I was online and sent me an IM. I was a little freaked out at first. I asked him what he did, and he replied "Stuff." Then he asked me what I did, so I replied, "Other Stuff." Well needless to say, that set in motion a conversation that turned into something fun. Soon we were both laughing, feeding off of each other's humor. After 3 hours of IMing, Strange Dude suggests we meet. I tell him that I don't meet strange dudes, especially not ones I have never talked to on the phone. Strange Dude tells me he's "not good" over the phone. I ask him if he needs his mommy to come hold his hand or his bishop to come give him a blessing first. Strange Dude tells me to "hold", as he has his bishop's number on speed dial. Classic. Strange Dude finally agrees to call. As soon as I hear his voice, I sigh. "Whew. You have a dude's voice!" Strange Dude replies, "Well, gee, that makes sense, since I am a dude." I refer to the Seinfeld episode, "The High Talker"; he gets it and we move on. Strange Dude tells me that since I am the Chick and he is the Dude, I should pick the meeting place so I feel safe; someplace well-lit, he encourages. I advised him I would not be meeting him in a Wal-Mart parking lot, because even though they are well-lit and open 24 hrs, I am not up for some Trailer-Trash Wal-Mart Romance. He agrees. So, I pick a spot, and we're off. (I know what you're thinking right now. But don't worry - I've got it covered.)

I call Desperate Housewife and tell her I am off to meet Strange Dude. I tell her not to worry, that I am bringing my "big purse" as a weapon. I also give her the coordinates of my proposed whereabouts. I then instruct Desperate Housewife to check her front window and if my van is not in my driveway in 2 hrs., to call my cell to check on me. I disclose to Desperate Housewife that I will ramble something random, such as "He's in Jamaica!" if I am in any type of trouble, so she would know to send out the forces. After a quick make-up check and an utterance of prayer, I am off to meet Strange Dude. In the meantime, Strange Dude sends me a text and says, "You're freaking out right now, aren't you?" I reply, "I'm not freaking out, as long as you promise not to kill me." He states, "I'm not going to kill you. This will be fun."

So, we meet and everything is just fine and we hang out and chat. We laugh about anything and everything and have a good time. Desperate Housewife calls on cue, and I tell her not to worry, I am fine and no one is in Jamaica. Soon Strange Dude & I realize three hours have passed by. However, neither one of us wants to go home yet. I tell him I am dying of thirst, and we head off to the Chevron for some water. Strange Dude is impressed by my clever dialogue with Chevron Cashier. We take our drinks and decide to head up to the capitol area to check out the view. We miss our turn, and I tell him it's ok, since Ensign Peak park is up that way and also has a great view. Of course, I can't remember the way in the dark of night. We come to a street, "Darkmoor". I tell him it sounds dangerous and creepy, like in a horror movie. C'mon, say it with me in your best horror-film voice, "Daaahrk-moooor". Creepy, right? Anyway, we keep driving. The next street we come to is Churchill. Strange Dude asks, "What about this? Churchill sounds safe." I agree. We head up Churchill and get to the top of the hill, and guess what we find? You won't believe it - it's an M.O.P. (make-out-point). There are like 20 cars parked, and several couples standing near the cliff, all making out. Strange Dude looks at me and we both bust out laughing. Strange Dude is convinced that this was all part of a scheme I had previously devised. Strange Dude even went as far to say that leading him up to the MOP was part of my "Flirting Techniques 101". I beg your pardon. After checking out the views, we decide to head back down the mountain. We ended up hanging out and chatting until almost 5 in the morning. At this point, Strange Dude turns to me and says, "We've known each other less than 24 hours, and we've already had drinks, went up to Make-Out Point, and spent the entire night together." At this realization I begin to laugh hysterically (and also because I have entered Stage 2 of my sleep deprivation cycle).

All in all, we had a fun time and most importantly, I lived to tell about it.

Incidentally, Strange Dude is also the one who asked if I was planning to use some of my "techniques" on him (see Captain of the Vitamins)Pretty optimistic, isn't he? Since then, his status & nickname have been upgraded from "Strange Dude" to "Technique Guy". We even went to dinner & a movie the other night, and he truly wasn't a Strange Dude anymore.

Thanks for the laughs, Technique Guy. Can't wait to do it again!

5 comments:

The Willeyes said...

Emma-Love it, once again, keeping us all laughing with your "strange" adventures. Hope all the "techniques" work out:)

Ruthykins said...

nice! i can't wait for mom to call you!

Holli and Billy said...

Yeah Emma! I agree with Strange Dude about your plot of "ending up" at the M.O.P. Crazy. Now THAT place brings back some memories...

kanaboke said...

Love it, love it, Loooove it!!! You forgot to mention how perfectly your hand fit in his!!! Bwahahahahaha! Love you Emma and happy to see that you are having a Fabulous Time!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I LOVE your nicknames for ppl!!! Hahahaha!