Saturday, December 29, 2012

Book Review: Agenda 21 by Glenn Beck & Harriet Park

Agenda 21Agenda 21 by Glenn Beck
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This had me in the first few pages! I absolutely loved the story line. Of course, I'm a huge fan of reading about futuristic dystopian societies. I think Harriet Parke's writing was tasteful, yet powerful - easily creating vivid images. Even though traditional "Glenn Beck" undertones and pulses were felt throughout, I don't believe it took away from the story. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. It is a quick and easy read - I read it in just under 5 hours.

What I didn't like: The ending to me felt a little rushed; too abrupt. The ending sets us up for a new beginning for the main characters without glimpsing what that might entail. I felt gypped - unrewarded as a reader; it was almost like saying, "And they lived happily ever after."  Then, I saw there was an afterword.

Hope-filled, I read on only to be disappointed that it was an explanation of the book in the form of political rhetoric. I felt duped or tricked as I began to read the afterword because Mr. Beck tells us that he and Harriet Parke knew that "we" (American readers) probably wouldn't pick up a piece of non-fiction or a newspaper article on the same subject, and we'd be more likely to read about Agenda 21 if it were presented to us in the form of a fiction novel. He goes on to write that if we liked the story, we should prompt others to read it, hiding the fact that Agenda 21 is a real proposition, with further instruction not to even mention the afterword. I was offended that Mr. Beck assumes that I am an ignorant person who wouldn't care enough about my society to learn about something like this on my own, and that I have to be tricked into reading about it. Regardless if I agree with you on Agenda 21 or not, Mr. Beck, Give me SOME credit will ya? I only skimmed the rest of the afterword, deciding I could read it on the UN's website whenever I wanted, without all of Beck's political repartee.

Personally, I picked up the book to be entertained, and to feel inspired by the thought-provoking material. To that end, it was a gratifying experience. Now, I want to know what happens next. Ms. Harriet Parke, a sequel please?

View all my reviews

No comments: