Wednesday, October 10, 2012

30 Days of Service: Recap

So the last 30 days I "Experimented" by trying to stay focused on ways to serve others, big or small.  My life is currently in a hectic phase and while I didn't always have time to blog immediately after each instance, I did keep track on my phone calendar, adding notes here and there, to blog later. 

What I learned:  Sometimes I am too busy to stop and notice things around me.  This made me realize that I need to simplify whenever and wherever I can.  I also learned that often times I was serving in little ways without even realizing it.  I think this is a great tribute to my parents and others who have made a positive impact in my life. 

Outcome:  I realize that I am not in a season in my life to give as much as I'd like (time, talents, money or otherwise), but that doesn't mean I don't have time to think of others.  Taking a few minutes a day to reflect on a way I can positively influence someone else's life has definitely been a way to positively enhance my own.  What's that proverb?  By small and simple things, great things come to pass...  or something like that. 

Also, this weekend during our church conference I heard a speaker say what it comes to serving others, first observe and then serve.  We don't need to wait for someone to TELL us what the problem is or what challenges they face or how we can possibly help.  We can observe and then act.  It's by these small and simple things I think help to shape our total outlook on life, especially with regards to our interaction with others.  Like, if someone bumps their cart into me at the grocery store.  When they apologize, I smile and say, "Not a problem" or "no worries", etc.  It is much easier to breathe in and out and feel happy when I can let stupid things go, and "forgive" them of little mishaps.  This may not seem huge, but truly - it is.  The adverse reaction (if I would've huffed and puffed and stormed off) would have definitely ruined my day and possibly made that person feel bad, and then who knows what?  I mean, it's usually a domino effect, right?

I'm just saying, that being mindful of others and being aware, has also greatly affected the way with which I interact with others. 

This may sound crazy, but when I die, I would love for someone to say at my funeral, "She was always happy, always helping others, and always had a smile on her face."  I'm not quite there -- yet.  I mean, "Always" is a pretty big bill to fit.  However, I do feel like I'm much better off from when I started my little "Experiment" and I also feel like I do the little things much more readily now; those habits have become 2nd nature and I rarely think about them anymore.

What about you?  Are you ready for the 30 day challenge?

1 comment:

Steph Glazier-Collao said...

I'm so glad that you did this experiment. I did it along with you, but didn't post every day like you did. I am going to write about my experience though. I learned a lot. Thanks for the inspiration :)