Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Heaven, Homeless, & Cats Laying Eggs!

I spent last weekend in Heaven...  Heaven on Earth, that is.  A lovely little place called Mink Creek, ID (pronounced Mink "crick", if you're a native).  The air was fresh.  The weather was perfect, in spite of being a little chilly.  The views were GORGEOUS! And the time spent with friends was fun! (4-wheeling, gun shooting,  bbq, game night, etc.)  There was only one wee little problem...  SLEEP.

I will say that the time in which I was actually asleep, it was a restful and peaceful sleep (not like my sleep at home).  But every now and again, I'd wake and think, "Wow -- it's quiet here.  Like really REALLY quiet!" I think I could get used to that for sure though.

One night I had a dream that a couple from my neighborhood bought my dump-of-a-house and totally gutted and remodeled the whole thing.  I stopped by one morning and said to the new owner, "The place looks great.  I'm just wondering if I happened to leave my washer & dryer here?  I can't seem to find it, and I thought perhaps I may have accidentally left it behind."  To which she responded, "Well, gee.  I don't think so, but let me run and check."  After a few moments she reappeared and advised me that my washer and dryer were not left behind.  "Strange," I thought to myself.  "I wonder where I left them."  Then, at that very moment, I turned to walk up the street and I woke up from my dream in a panic and thought, "Wait! Where do I live?  WHERE DO I LIVE???"  I sat up, looked around, realized I was in a guest room at the ranch and that I still lived in my dump-of-a-house back home and all was well with the world.  I laughed myself back to sleep.

The night I got back home from weekend, I was exhausted from packing up and cleaning the ranch house and driving, etc.  I think my eyes shut as soon as I hit the pillow.  About 4:30 in the morning I heard this loud rattle above my head.  I shot up, heart pounding through my chest, and quickly reached for the blinds above me that were still shaking.  Imagine my surprise when I saw my INDOOR cat sitting on the OUTSIDE ledge outside of my bedroom window!  I reached out my hand, thinking the screen must have popped out.  But it hadn't; it was still there.  I worried that while I was away for the weekend someone had accidentally let Sadie escape.  I quickly threw on some clothes and shoes, tripped over my suitcase (still unpacked from the weekend) and rushed outside to rescue the AWOL kitten.  I was about 2 inches too short, even on my tippy toes.  I tried to coax her into moving towards me.  But all Sadie did was offer up an irritated "mew" in return.  Just when I almost had her ~POOF!~ through the bedroom window she disappeared!  "What in the world?" I thought.

I went back into the house, again tripping over my suitcase, turned on a light and after a closer inspection found that the bottom edge of my screen had pulled loose from the frame -- just enough for a cat to get through.  I wondered how long she'd been pulling that little stunt.  I slammed the window shut and went back to bed.  Ugh.

And now, I leave you with a saying my Amish Grandma Goldie Miller used to say (mostly because I am having a bit of a crappy day and this always makes me smile):  "It'll all get better before the cat lays an egg."

And THAT, my dear readers, is what I leave you with today.  Au revoir!

1 comment:

Puphigirl said...

I may need more details about your Idaho getaway.