Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas, Christmas Eve and Christmas Eve-Eve

This year my kids will be at their dad's for Christmas.  So I decided a few weeks ago that we would have our Christmas on Christmas Eve.  Of course, this meant we'd have to do our Christmas Eve stuff on Christmas Eve-Eve.  :)

Last night we did our annual reading of the Christmas Nativity Story, then the kids opened their new PJs.  Well, truth be told the didn't really "open" their PJs.  In fact -- I've been so busy, I never got around to wrapping them.  But I forgot about that little tidbit until it was time to open them.  Doh!  SO, instead we played a game.  I told them they each had 1 top, 1 pair of pajama pants and 1 pair of new socks and they were all in the same sack.  One by one, they had to close their eyes, reach into the sack and pull out the ones they THOUGHT might be theirs.  It was fun, and no one got their PJs right.  We also got some Secret Santa gifts by our door a few days ago, so I let them open those too.  The kids and I each received a holiday fleece throw and a gift card. They loved them and I felt truly blessed that someone would think of us that way.

After swapping until they all got the right PJs, they each took their showers while I got the snacks ready for our annual Christmas Movie night.    Every year we always watch " A Christmas Story " and " Mixed Nuts " on Christmas Eve.   I started the wood stove and everyone gathered around for the movies in their new pjs and snuggled up with their new throws, and we munched on cheese and crackers, cocktail shrimp and soda.

This morning, they all slept in (which was really nice, considering I did my usual tossing and turning all night).  Finally, around noon they came dragging in the front room where they retrieved their stockings and took turns opening their gifts.

We finally ate "breakfast" around 2pm, which consisted of an egg & sausage skillet (complete with country gravy) and Monkey Bread.  Then we just hung out and relaxed and "played" with our new "toys" for the remainder of the day.

And, oh yeah...  guess who forgot to thaw the turkey?  Christmas Spaghetti anyone???

I am getting ready to make up some spiced nuts and then figure out what's for dinner before we embark on a late-night family game night.  It should be fun!

I plan to post pictures later this week.

Tomorrow the kidlets will attend our Christmas Music Program at church before heading off to their dad's.  It's been a wonderful day!

Wishing all of you the best Christmas ever!  :)

3 comments:

The Willeyes said...

I'm so glad you had a good Christmas. What fun memories. What an awesome mom. Lucky kids :)

Puphigirl said...

Hmm, Christmas spaghetti. Well, it does have the Christmas colors.

greenolive said...

A few weeks ago I had a hankering for Mixed Nuts. It wasn't on netflix and I was bummed but Dish gave us a few days of a movie channel and it was on their. It's now recorded so I can watch it whenever I want. I've already watched it twice.