Sunday, November 20, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude: Day Twenty


I am grateful for prayer.

From as early as I can remember we had regular prayer in my home.  My parents taught us the importance of giving thanks for our blessings as well as asking for things that we were in need of and in some cases our deepest desires.  I am a believer that the Lord answers our prayers in one form or another, even if it is not the answer we are hoping for.  I also believe that when the answer is "no" it is because He knows us best and knows what is expedient for us. Knowing this basic gospel principle brought me great comfort as a child.

As an adult, I have not gone without trial, and there were times in which the Lord has brought me great peace and comfort through prayer.  Some of my most intimate moments of self-discovery and of learning just how much the Lord does love and care about me were in times of desperate, almost agonizing supplication.  In all times, prayer has brought a spirit of peace, even when I did not know what the outcome would be.  One thing that prayer has always made me feel is that everything will be all right-- and it usually is.

Today, I am grateful for prayer.