Saturday, November 5, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude: Day Five


I am grateful for modern-day medicine.

There are lots of really cool diagnoses made through modern-day medicine, many of them very rare.  I think back to the "olden days", when people were sick and no one knew why; it was all they could do to sit back and watch someone suffer and possibly even die.  Luckily, I don't have any serious life-threatening diseases, but I am truly grateful for the modern-day medicine used for every-day ailments as well.

I am not a pill-popper and the mere thought of having to swallow a pill that may or may not, but could very well, possibly, probably get lodged in my throat gives me slight anxiety.  I try to avoid it whenever possible.  However there are definitely times in which it is the only thing that helps.  (Luckily Xanax is in really tiny pill form.)

I've had a migraine the last 3 days -- mild, but nonetheless there. Mine are typically triggered by lack of sleep, which is typically triggered by anxiety.  Needless to say, I haven't slept this past week and last night it was finally time to get out the meds and manage it.

Therefore, I am grateful for modern-day medicine.

No comments: