Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Baby, it's Bitter Cold Outside!

About 2/3 of the nation is already getting "dumped" on by snow. Winds are rapidly exceeding in speeds. Tonight they are expecting a 3 day storm to hit, spanning all the way from Portland, Maine - across the Midwest and down into Texas! The lower East Coast may experience Hurricane weather while other areas get hit with Tornadoes! It's gonna be one crazy storm!

I used to think a "Blizzard" was all about the snow level. I learned from our own "blizzard" here recently, that it is not the case. Blizzards have more to do with the wind. However, the more severe blizzards usually involve many inches of snow and span more than a day. I think I was around 5 or 6 when I experienced snow so high that it completely buried our cars and front door!

I was used to bitter cold winters, growing up in the Midwest. But since moving here to Utah 14 years ago, I've been a little spoiled with fairly mild winters. "Bitter Cold" was what happened when it got down in the 20's!

But this winter has truly been it's coldest since I've been here. It has been windy, and although we experience inversion here (when the air temp on the ground is warmer than the air above -- so not cold enough to keep the snow on the ground), the temperatures are dropping low each night and the wind is picking up during the day!

It is weird to me to wake up (like this morning) to a 9 degree morning, which feels like -13 because of the wind chill factor, and yet there is hardly any snow! Nonetheless, it is FREEZING!!! BRRRRR!

Wishing all of you stay warm and are stocked up on food and water and flashlights and batteries and toilet paper and........

(So, wait -- How does Global Warming work again? Or Global Climate Change - or whatever it's called?)

3 comments:

Susie said...

I don't know exactly how it works but Mother Nature is pissed!

I really liked that cookie said...

Why do you think they changed the name from global warming to clima change?
Did you by any chance follow the 'global warming convention' in Denmark last year? Worst snow we had since the 70s' ... yeah

Rhonda said...

Yeah they changed the GLOBAL WARMING thing to Climate change to save face. Didn't work in my opinion, they just sound like fools. ha ha

We have had the coldest weather ever for our, usually, very warm area! It's been great though because I'm not looking forward to our 115 degree summers!