Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Not a Sales Call, My Butt!

One day last week at work...

[phone rings]

Me: Good Morning, [place of business], This is Emma.

Caller: [static and "echo"] Yes. Gooood Mah-neeng Mum. May I Pah-leeeese Speek to Ke-veen?

Me: I'm sorry?

Caller: May I Pah-leeese speek to Ke-veen?

Me:Oh... I'm sorry. He no longer works here. Is there something I can help you with?

Caller: Oh. Yes. Mum. I see... Well, I can tellah you mum, eef you have jost a meen-ut, mum.

Me: [trying to work & multi-task] I'm sorry... is this a sales call? I don't really have time...

Caller: Uh-no, mum. Dees ease not a sales cole mum. I jost would like to tellah you, mum about ow-ah ser-vees.

Me: I'm sorry, I don't have time for a sales call right now... but thank you.

Caller: Ohhh, no, mum. Eet isn't a sales cole. I jost want to tellah you, Mum about ow-ah ser-veeses and then you can come-pare the two foh wheech-evah is bettah.

Me: I'm sorry, ma'am. That is a sales call, and like I said, I do not have time this morning, but thanks! [releases call]

Seriously... how is that NOT a sales call?

6 comments:

Laura said...

Andy likes to ask for their phone number so he can call them back. They dont like that! lol

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

Sounds like a sales call to me!

Puphigirl said...

They aren't selling you anything, just making you aware of their services for comparison to the services of other companies so that you can make an informed choice. A choice of what? For them to sell you something.

Susie said...

Did you ask her about her services? No. That would be an unsolicated sales call!

Ruthykins said...

for real. i hate it when i run to answer the phone and it's some junky company. there's this one company that always asks for derek, but he's never home.

on another note:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EMMA!

Charlotte said...

Ahh.. my favorite kind of calls. When I was little my mom used to scream really loud into the phone then hang up on telemarketers. Maybe she still does...