Sunday, December 27, 2009

Chicken Soup for the Skinny-Minded Soul: Week One

I have gotten fat. Not that I was skinny before... well, not since before having three kids anyway. The last time I felt "skinny" was when I was 19 years old. True, I always had somewhat curvy hips. True, I always had "the girls" around. And True, I always had a little bit of a gut... but it was more like a "belly belt"... and I could SUCK.IT.IN. and no one would notice. AND if I wanted to lose 5 or 10 lbs **gasp** I'd eat apples and drink slim fast for a week and I was as good as gold!

However, 1 marriage, 3 kids, 1 divorce and 4 jobs later... that extra belt o' belly has grown into more of a belly skirt. BLEH!

So, about a year and a half ago, I started walking, and then running. And I lost about 39 lbs. Then I got myself a someone special and well... I think I got too comfy and last year around this time I gained about 10 back. Then that someone special went bye-bye and I gained about 10 more back. Then, I "got back on the wagon" and started walking and running again, and loving it. I lost some again.

But then school started, and I just couldn't figure out how to balance three-quarter time school, full-time work and over-time mom with that itsy-bitsy thing called exercise. The results: I'm fat again. I feel it in my thighs, I see it in my chipmunk cheeks, my jeans are crying "uncle" and my belly-skirt is starting to cast a shadow over my knees. NOT.GOOD.

So, now what am I gonna do??? I wanna feel not-so-self-conscious when my new-but-old-someone-special is around. I wanna feel good again. Even if I never get "skinny"... I mean, I don't have to be the sports car, but I do wanna be the best-consumer-rated Sedan around. Make sense?

Ok... so what I need here is some good motivation. I am not gonna do a crazy diet wherein I starve myself for the first 6 weeks. Been there, done that. And when I gained it back it went to places it hadn't seen before. True, school is starting up again in a few weeks, but now that I am getting the feel of it, I am gonna try to figure out where to fit this exercise thing in. My neurologist, whom I see for my Atypical Migraines suggested that even if I am busy with school I at least do a long workout on Saturdays. Point taken. So... here we go. I want to "think thin" and get back to healthy food selections.

I decided that I can't just announce my goals on the blog and leave it. I mean it's not like that infomercial, "Set it and forget it!" No, this is something I've gotta keep at. I have decided that Sundays is the day I will weigh in each week. Sundays will also be my "Chicken Soup for the Skinny-Minded Soul" days. I will blog about anything new I've discovered, progress, set-backs, challenges, etc. I am calling it "Chicken Soup" because I want my regimen to revolve around healthy choices. "For the skinny-minded soul" because you have to be able to have positive thinking and love yourself for who you really are deep-down.

So, if you don't like reading about weight-loss, I won't feel offended if you choose to skip reading my posts on Sundays.

I don't have to be skinny to be beautiful, but I have to be willing to love myself. And, if I'm not comfortable in my own skin, then it is up to me to change it. That's what this journey is about. If anyone cares to join me, the more the merrier!

My First Milestone Goal: Lose 2 dress sizes by Valentine's Day.
Something I will change/incorporate this week: Drink Water Every Day.

8 comments:

S Club Mama said...

I'm right there with ya, lady! I have...a lot of extra poundage laying around. 10 from Tristan, 10 from Isaac, and probably at least 10 from college. And I wasn't that thin in high school (looking back, I totally was WAY thinner than I am now but still...). I got the Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga and Boot Camp DVDs for Christmas. Gonna start doing those (hopefully) daily and get back into some sort of shape.

Our Two Blessings From Above said...

well I thought I was leaving a comment here, but I left it way back on Dec. 7th.

okeydokeyifine said...

2 things: When you sit down to a meal ask yourself would a skinny person eat this stuff and in this portion? And Yoga, good for body and mind. 6 salutes to the sun is a total work out. Start with 2 a day.

Dianne said...

count me in girl

Puphigirl said...

I also am planning to lose all this weight. Seems like that is the goal every new year. The sad thing is that I am currently at the weight I was just before I had joined Curves and lost weight three years ago.

I am getting a jump on the new year, I'm going to start working out tomorrow.

Susie said...

Good luck on your quest! I am right there with you:-)

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the contentment of a relationship does add on pounds.

I recommend The Shred dvd workout by Jillian Michaels. It will kick your butt, but you'll drop weight like crazy. 20 minute workout every day. You'll be SO sore at first, but stick with it. Of course this is coming from me who quit doing it, but only because we were out of town so often for the death in the family. I do plan on getting back to it though.

greenolive said...

I'm planning on losing about 40 lbs this year. I think it will be good to hear about your journey and I'm sure it will help keep me motivated.