It's ironic because a recurring theme in many bloggers' posts seems to be along the lines of "Why I Blog". So - I figured - why not? After a few short minutes of self-reflection (hey - I have a short attention span) here are MY REASONS -
Why I Blog:
1) I Self-Medicate. Some people self-medicate by drinking. Others by smoking, drugs, gambling, etc. I USED to self-medicate through retail-therapy. I was a regular at Tar-Jay. I'd go in for "milk" and 20 minutes and $200 later, I felt like a new woman. I became addicted to retail therapy; until I became a single mom. I no longer have that sort of "allowance" in my budget. So - I blog. I am addicted to blogging. It is self-medicating for me.
2) I NEED An Audience. It's true. I finally took a step and made a confession just the other day on the Blogstalker's sight. I AM A COMMENT
WHORE JUNKIE! I guess I have always been a bit of an attention seeker - even as a child. I love to "perform". Of course, what's the use of having funny, clever or witty things to say if there isn't an audience - or worse, they don't "get it". Like at a party, I may throw out a quick-witted remark that just sails right over everyone's head. Then I am left feeling a) stupid or b) wasteful... I HATE wasting great one-liners! hahaha! At least in the Blogosphere, if someone doesn't get the humor, they can just leave. And those that do get it can comment. I LOVE Comments!!! It validates the things I am feeling or thinking. And I admit - all of your bloggy-comment-love boosts my confidence just a wee bit!
3) It's Cheaper Than Therapy. I suppose this is a little like #1, but anyway... Blogging for me is very therapeutic. It helps me take all of the ramblings from my mind and put them down "on paper". Then I can (try to) organize my thoughts, reorganize and even categorize them if necessary. This makes it very helpful for when I am ready to over-analyze them. And the comments from the "fans" help too, because it's free advice! And blogging actually helps relieve anxiety in my life.
4) I ENJOY IT! I enjoy writing. I enjoy storytelling. I enjoy laughing. I enjoy making others laugh. I enjoy "meeting" new people. I enjoy "performing". If I knew I could be good at it - I'd be a part-time stand-up comic and part-time writer. Blogging gives me a feeling that I have/can accomplish(ed) all of these.
5) BECAUSE I WANT TO and BECAUSE I CAN! Plain and simple. I like to do it, even if no one does read it. So there!
In fairness to Big-D, he wasn't putting me or my blog down; just a little teasing. He says though he doesn't understand my insatiable need to blog he understands that blogging does somehow fulfill a need for me. He even indulges me in reading it (well, perusing it) on an almost-daily basis. He is supportive of my blog-addiction and has even helped by pretending to pose for a pic while I was stealing a shot for the blog. In fact it's even his idea sometimes... "You'll want a picture of that for your blog!" hahaha!
Oh - And I should clarify that while I consider myself to be obsessed with blogging, I don't spend a whole heck of a lot of time at it. I "jot" things down in draft form as they occur to me or come to mind. Then usually once or twice a week I revisit all of the drafts, to see if they're gonna formulate into something or not. If so, the post goes on the "schedule" for the week. Usually by Sunday, I have a whole slew of posts ready to go for the week.
Your turn - why do YOU blog???