Monday, June 2, 2008

To Call Or Not To Call?

To call or not to call? That is the question. In this day and age where almost everyone has a cell phone, we tend to get a little impatient with the turn-around time it takes to receive a return call - myself included. On the other hand, it's like - hey, why have a cell phone if you're not going to use it???

Well, they say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Let me tell you that I am not addicted to my cell phone. True, it is on 24-7. True, I even have it with me when I soak in the tub. True, if I lose it I go crazy. However, I can put it down for a brief period of time, if there is something important that needs to be done. I do not answer it during church, or while my feet are in the stirrups at the Dr.'s office, or while at lunch with a client, etc. I am not addicted. I am however, very fond of my cell phone and I make no pretensions about that.
With that said, I am one of those people who expects a return phone call in a timely fashion. Even more so, if you tell me that you're going to call me, then I expect you to do just that. (Call me crazy, I know. What am I thinking, right?)

So...without naming names (yeah right, what's the fun in that?) Hat Dude (upgraded from Technique Guy) said he would call and then didn't. He could certainly take lessons from Science Guy. Science Guy calls whether I want him to or not. He even calls to say he's not going to call.

Well, not wanting to jump to conclusions or be "that girl" - you know, the needy, clingy one that gets bent out of shape if he doesn't call - I decided to take the rational approach (after muttering a few words under my breath, of course).

I determined, in my rational thinking, that there are really only 5 Reasons a Guy Does Not Call when he says he will. Drumroll please........

1) He is dead, or nearly dead
2) He is busy with work or family
3) He is with some other woman
4) He takes sick pleasure in not calling when he says he is going to .........OR...............
5) He is done with you, but doesn't have the Kahones to tell you

In the very short time that we've known each other, it's been my experience that Hat Dude usually does call if he says he will. I knew he was out of town and not feeling well, so I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. As it turns out, Hat Dude was really sick (so he claims) which falls into the #1 category of being "nearly dead". All I can say is that he is lucky; Cuz if it was like any other reason, he would've wished he was dead! (Just kidding, Hat Dude.)

Hat Dude apologized, though he did admit that he could have lifted a finger to send a text. I mean, c'mon, we all know when you're sick you can still "click" a remote or a mouse; you could have certainly sent a text.

So, the lesson to Dudes everywhere out there??? When it's a matter of To Call or Not To Call? The answer is CALL! Always Call!

3 comments:

Ruthykins said...

i'm glad to hear that he's not dead. by the way, mom read your blog.

pinkelephant said...

Oh Emma, Emma, Emma. You are so right. I hate the guys who play mind game but there are some. Definately. Hate it. Good thing he apologized about not calling when he said he would. BTW, why is he promoted to a hat guy anyway? Does he always wear a hat?

In case you don't know who I am, I chatted with you late last night ;-)

EmmaP said...

hey pinkelephant.....yes i know who you are!!!! yes. He was upgraded because he has a hat in every pic, and i have only seen him once without a hat. and yes, he does have hair. plus i thought HAT DUDE sounded cuter than Technique Guy. He needed a name to match his looks and personality.