Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas Letter - MAD LIBS STYLE! (and 23 other ideas)


Each year we do a family Christmas letter. I've been doing this now for 22 years. I also print an extra one for each child, and on the back I write a personal message to them. I love this because the letter is a record-keeping of what we've done over the year and my personal letter is {hopefully} meaningful. I add the letters to each of their scrapbooks. I think they will love looking back at these one day.

Because I do not want to be *that* mom, the one who writes a novella about how wonderfully awesome all of her kids are, I try instead to come up with interesting Christmas Letters. In the past I've done a newsletter style, a rewrite of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, a Crossword Puzzle, written from the perspective of the family pet, Top Ten, a Christmas Tree shape poem, a Blooper's Edition, a Lost & Found letter, a Stick Figure Story, a comic strip, a Year in Review by month, a game board, a recipe, and a Magazine Cover. This year, we decided to do a Mad Libs letter.

It's pretty easy to create your own, and we've had fun hearing (via text, email, and pics on social media) what our friends have come up with. The best was a text from a friend which read, "We are dying of laughter over here. You just farted Margherita pizza 7 times!"

Other ideas I am toying with for future letters are puzzle pieces, a color by number, post-it notes, conversation bubbles, an acrostic poem, an open letter to Santa, a rebus, and a script. See? The possibilities just go on and on.

For your viewing pleasure, our Mad Libs letter for 2016. Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you've come up with in the comments!





No comments: