Monday, December 8, 2014

Lights, Cameras, Christmas!

I love looking at Christmas trees & decor!

Growing up in Northern Indiana, east of Chicago, we were lucky enough to go to the wonderful museums there. One of my favorites is the Museum of Science & Industry. Each year, they have a "Christmas Around the World" exhibit. This includes many large trees (more than 50) decorated in the traditions of other nations and cultures. It was a favorite to see! The last time I went when I visited my Aunt Kae & Uncle Jim for New Year's Eve. I was preggers with my first-born (so, that was YEARS ago!) and as a treat they took us to the museum.

If you are in the Chicago area, I highly recommend a trip to this museum. The display this season runs through January 4th!  {{More Info on Museum HERE}}

As a family, one of our annual traditions is to visit a light display somewhere. Whether it's a hayride through Layton City Park {{Hayrides info HERE}}, driving through Spanish Fork's amazing Festival of Lights {{Festival of Lights info HERE}}, or strolling downtown Salt Lake to see the lights on Temple Square {{Temple Square lights info HERE}}, we always enjoy it.

Sometimes, I have a hard time getting into the spirit of the season. The stress of shopping, cooking, cleaning, getting ready for out-of-towners, trying to come up with a new & improved annual letter, getting everyone to smile during the photo for the cards...  sigh. It can all be a little overwhelming. But, listening to beautiful Christmas music, seeing the stunning lights, and looking at the festive decorations always pulls me back. I reflect on my family and our traditions and I remember the things that matter most.

Many nights in December, after everyone else has gone to bed, when the house is still, I find myself sitting alone in the living room, just taking in the glow of the Christmas tree. It's my own sanctuary of sorts, pulling me into the Christmas spirit, and drawing me nearer to Christ. Those few precious moments of "still" are sacred to me. I reflect and ponder and pray. And sometimes I come away with new inspiration and other times simple affirmations that I am loved.

Who doesn't want more of that?

Oh - and before I forget, be sure to tag me in your comments if you post holiday photos on Facebook or instagram, etc. I'd love to see what inspires you this holiday season!

1 comment:

Ruthykins said...

I really love Christmas decorations, too. Also, don't stress out over "improving" your yearly Christmas letter